Saturday, December 19


Thrift stores in Colorado are monumental. Since I moved here I've been amassing tons of really great second-hand stuff. The last few days I've been out and about looking for some new threads but didn't score much in terms of clothing, but I got some great outerwear, which you can see above in my drawing. Aside from my heinous bear coat, I also got a really sexy wool Guess coat with a big zipper and snaps and shit. Ace. I also (as you can see in the drawing) finally got a fur hood! So cute and I've been wanting one forever. I think it's sheep but my dad thinks it's fake. I also found a million great books that I'm going to brag about right now.

Thursday Scores
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
My copy vanished when I was 17 and this one is basically mint so I was glad to find it.

Woman Hollering Creek - Sandra Cisneros
I remember really wanting to read this in high school but my school's library didn't have a copy so I just read The House on Mango Street twice. Finding this really made me want to reread Mango Street, too.

One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
I liked that story about the guy with the wings and everyone says this is good and it was like, a dollar.

Poems on a Boy's Paintings - Paintings by Bu Di and Poems by Ke Yan
This is really cool! This little boy painter from China in the 80's painted all these wonderful things and this woman poet wrote poems for a bunch of them. The text is in both English and Chinese and it's really lovely.

The Fellowship of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien
I almost passed this up because I thought I owned a copy already because I've read it before, but then I remembered that the copy I read was Josh's so I grabbed it. So glad I did, it's got this really neat cover and comes with a HUGE pull-out map of Middle Earth that I'm going to frame.

Saturday's Scores
Ariel - Sylvia Plath
Also a really pristine copy of a Plath book, but this one is from 1965. I have no idea how it made it almost 50 years so unscathed. It's beautiful.

The House on Mango Street - Sandra Cisneros
Isn't it weird that I found this?! I was so excited. I'm going to read it next week and then Woman Hollering Creek.

The Pelican Shakespeare: The Sonnets - William Shakespeare
I have The Riverside Shakespeare already but this was such a cute, slender volume I couldn't pass it up. Plus, whoever owned it before me left me a bunch of notes!

[The next books came from a used book store, not a general thrift store, but were all free because I made some trades a few weeks ago.]

The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
I've been reading a lot of classic childrens lit this year because I'm into adventure stories right now and I also read mostly contemporary childrens books when I was a kid and I feel like I sort of missed out on some wonderful stories that I only came to know through movies. Grabbed this because I like toads.

Black Folktales - Julius Lester
The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man - James Weldon Johnson
The other week at work this woman came in and we started talking casually about her son who was going to graduate high school soon and had several options for colleges. She told me he was interested in going to one of the military academies but she hoped he would pick a black college because he'd grown up in such a white area and she wanted him to be able to experience a bigger part of his culture. I told her my mother, a black woman, also wanted me to go to a black college and I regretted not doing so. She was sort of amazed that I was a mixed-race person (because I don't look it at all, though if you could have seen her, I do look exactly like my mother) but was really interested in me and the stuff I was saying about being such a weird mixed person and she understood when I said that I was an odd-man-out in a group of odd men because I never had a real mixed-race experience since I look white and grew up in the military (where mixed kids and families are a dime a dozen and nobody gives a shit).
Anyway, she sort of encouraged me to look deeper into my race and to not discount my mother's heritage just because I look white and everyone else discounts it because of that. I've never felt black or even mixed, and I never felt special or really proud or excited to be mixed because I'm not like other biracial people, but she made me feel really exceptional and special because of that. And for really one of the first times I felt inspired to really learn something about black culture and history, so I picked up these books. I'd love a good book on multiracial culture and mixed heritages, so that will be something I pick up next time I'm at the big-box book store.

Okay, going to read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz now. Adventure!

No comments: