Thursday, February 3

What I've Been Up To Lately

A few days after Snuggles died I decided to paint her. I haven't gotten around to it in a couple weeks but here is the sketch. I showed it to my stepmom when we were drunk and she cried. To cheer her up I played some Enrique Iglesias and then got dance fever. Nobody would dance with me, though, so I fell down the stairs. That was about two weeks ago and my butt is still really sore.

Every single person in the United States is currently frozen. I don't know what happened but I guess it was winter. Here is an instruction guide on how to stay warm based on an actual outfit I wore when it got super cold. (Those are Justin Ropers, not Uggs, by the way.)

I knitted a scarf! Kiah made me watch all of the Star Wars in a row and I needed something to do while we watched it because I can't just watch eight hours of movies and do nothing so I made him this scarf. The yarn is made of bamboo! It ended up being ~10 feet long because Kiah is insane and that's how long he wanted it. Have a good feeling he is going to not wear it due to the absurd length that he insisted upon.

I wound up all my leftover yarn and I thought it was pretty. I think I'm going to make an afghan out of the leftovers, I just need a lot more first. And I need to learn how to actually knit.




After about a million months I finally got to see my husband (he was being deployed). He came for a visit on the 18th and stayed for two weeks. Here are some pictures of us at the zoo, doin' zoo stuff. Kiah is pointing at a porcupine in the second one, just so you know. I got a pair of wolf socks and he bought an elephant poop shirt.
In case you're wondering, and I'm sure you are, my husband and I don't live in the same state at the moment. He's in the military and stationed in one state and I am three classes away from graduating from college in another state. As much as we'd like to be together, and it is a whole lot, it's just completely pointless and absurd for me to put off my education any further, especially when I'm so close to being done. I considered transferring (again :/ I've attended three colleges already) but it would have been expensive and the credits wouldn't match up exactly so I would have to be in school for another year (a grand total of six years!) just to get my BA. We had to make an executive decision and this is what we chose. It'll be over soon, though.
He left this morning and even though I managed almost seven months without him I've been weepy all day. Generally I don't mind the distance between us or being alone, but him visiting just reminded me how much I really like my husband and how much I love having him around. He is sort of messy and he takes up all the space in my bed and eats too many cookies but I like him a lot anyway.
I'll see him again in about six weeks, which isn't long at all, but it's a bummer because six weeks seems like just enough time to get back into a comfortable routine where I don't miss him so much. Then I'll see him again and the whole process starts over. I just need to keep in mind that there's only four months left of this.

Anyway, to get my mind off of wishing Kiah was around I made this huge, obscene To Do list. At first I planned on getting it all squared away in the next week, but I realized that's insane so I made it a month long project. Some items are more general than others, but it's really just a big list of things to keep me busy. A busy girl is a happy girl. I'll take a photo on March 1st and you can see all the stuff I managed to actually do. My car will probably still be gross.


Also, the reading pile has been updated since my last reading pile post. Eesh. No more book buying.

Finished:
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
As I Lay Dying - William Faulkner

Currently Reading:
Maurice - E.M. Forster
The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury
The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
The Oddyssey - Homer
Favorite Celtic Fairy Tales

To Read:
The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
The Suicide Club and Other Stories - Robert Louis Stevenson
The Lost World - Sir Arthus Conan Doyle
The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
A Little Princess - Frances Hodgson Burnett
Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradbury
Black Folktales - Julius Lester
Journey to the Center of the Earth - Jules Verne
Good Poems - Edited by Garrison Keillor
James and the Giant Peach - Roald Dahl
Charlie and the Glass Elevator - Roald Dahl
The Witches - Roald Dahl
The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson (I read this once but thought it'd be fun for Halloween)
The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle
In Love and Trouble - Alice Walker
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love - Raymond Carver
Sula - Toni Morrison
When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals - Jeffrey Mousaieff Masson
Woman Hollering Creek - Sandra Cisneros
White Teeth - Zadie Smith
Light Can Be Both Wave and Particle - Ellen Gilchrist
Parsival - Richard Monaco
Tales of the City - Armistead Maupin
More Tales of the City - Armistead Maupin

No comments: