Sunday, March 6

Snuggles, Food, Books

I finally finished my Snuggles portrait! I like the way it turned out, even if she looks a little super deformed. She kind of acted super deformed so I think it's suitable that her portrait reflects that. I'm going to give this to my parents as a going-away present.

Ahaha doesn't this look kind of revolting? WELL IT WAS DELICIOUS. I just ate breakfast and I'm salivating thinking about having it for lunch. I guess this is sort of a broccoli salad or a slaw, if you will, but really I just threw a ton of crap I found in the fridge together and then ate it.
Here's what's in it: 2-3 broccoli heads, a cup of cottage cheese, 4-5 tablespoons of Marie's coleslaw dressing (but if you know how to make actual coleslaw dressing you could just do that), a hand full of shredded cabbage, a hand full of shredded carrots, garlic powder, onion powder and pico de gallo (diced fresh tomatoes, white onions, cilantro and jalapeno). Stir it up and then eat it straight from the bowl like an animal! I also think it would be good with celery, dill, red onion, red pepper flakes and/or green and red bell peppers.

I started reading The Painted Veil by Somerset Maugham yesterday. I'm about 50 pages in and it's already so sexy and beautiful. From the back cover: "Set in England and Hong Kong in the 1920s, The Painted Veil is the story of the beautiful but love-starved Kitty Fane. When her husband discovers her adulterous affair, he forces her to accompany him to the heart of a cholera epidemic. Stripped of the British society of her youth and the small but effective society she fought so hard to attain in Hong Kong, she is compelled by her awakening conscience to reassess her life and learn how to love. The Painted Veil is a beautifully written affirmation of the human capacity to grow, to change, and to forgive."
Gosh, even the blurb leaves me a little breathy! In the first 50 pages Kitty's affair is written with so much empathy and understanding. Her husband is a really lovely man and he loves Kitty, but they're just so clearly wrong for each other and his inability to open up to her and show himself as a flawed human person would likely drive any wife he had to an affair of some kind. The humanity of Kitty is just so amazingly well written. I know what she's doing is wrong, but at the same time I just feel so sorry for her and I can't even look at her like she's a bad person. She's merely a victim of her own poor choices, including marrying a man who she is incompatible with.
Maugham was a homosexual, but he was married to a woman for a while and he had an affair with a man, so clearly he comes from a background where marriage is complicated well beyond what is typically complicated in marriage. I wonder how a heterosexual man would write this same character, this same story, and if he would be capable of creating the same empathy in his readers? That's kind of sexist, straight men can do anything that women and homosexual men can do! (except bear children and menstruate, sorry boys), but I am curious.
Also, isn't that painting on the cover gorgeous? It's by Meredith Frampton. I guess he's a fairly unknown painter since his Wikipedia page is about 2 sentences long, but his work is really beautiful. I want prints!

I finished War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells last night. Is there a movie version of this that stays true to the book? I saw the Tom Cruise one and it was awful and also was not even remotely faithful to the original text. I want to see the movie version where a skinny, polite little Victorian Englishman gets increasingly dirty and lives in a scullery for 14 days.
Overall it was an okay book. It had some scary moments, but my favorite thing about it was how quickly it put me to sleep. I had lots of really lovely library naps with this book in my lap.

I also finished Burmese Days by George Orwell last week. I've been waiting for someone in my class to finish it but no one has. Last Thursday we started talking about it and everyone was like, "Oh, did you like it?" and I couldn't answer them without spoiling the whole book. The best I could answer was that I liked it up until a point. I've been dying to talk about this book with anyone, but there just isn't anyone, and since I'm missing class and my peers are taking forever to finish it, I will talk about it here. Highlight the text if you want to read what I thought, but skip over if you think you might like to read Burmese Days yourself and don't want it spoiled.
Okay, WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK? The book was really enjoyable and I liked it a lot until the last 17 pages and then it quickly morphs into the most depressing thing I've ever read in my whole entire life. It's such a tease and a trap and I kind of hate George Orwell for writing this book. I feel so lied to and used and somewhere his shitty mustachioed English face is laughing, "Hahah! I got you!" You spend 260-some-odd pages so hopeful and so dedicated to this very clearly plotted out happy ending that's just dangling out there at the end of the book, just glimmering and shiny and it's so good and so right and so EASY, and then in a fucking instant, while main character Flory is at church dreaming of the home he's going to have with Elizabeth, it's so sweet and lovely and it's going to happen, finally, and then out of nowhere EVERYTHING IS RUINED with only 17 God damn pages left in the book.
The worst moments in the book all happen in these 17 pages. Flory is holding Elizabeth and begging her to forgive him and she's being a bitch like she always is and he just gives up and says, "You should have a piano." Because that's what he imagined they'd have in their home together. And she just says, "I don't play the piano." GOD! Fucking hateful.
And so he goes home and instead of being alone for the rest of his life in the jungle, he shoots himself in the heart. Not a big deal, like I said before, there wasn't a single likable character in the book except for the dog. You don't even like Flory, you feel really bad for him, but you don't
like him. But of course before killing himself HE KILLS THE DOG. Like, why? He calls the dog into the room, shoots it in the head and before turning the gun on himself he remarks that the dog's brains splattered all over the floor look like red velvet.
Overall I give the book 4 stars because it was great up until a point and then it was just...well, it made me want to kill myself. 4 stars but FUCK YOU GEORGE ORWELL. That's my review.

Really glad that's out of my system. I feel like it's been weighing me down. Okay, off to the library.

1 comment:

That Much Further West. said...

Love the snuggles portrait. Now that we're moving maybe I can get my bf to agree to two more cat portraits... Haha