Saturday, April 23

The Federation Strikes Back

I just read this post on Geek Girl on the Street where the writer, Sarah Elliott, discusses never seeing Star Wars and finally sitting down to watch the three films. Until last January, I too was a member of this strange group of people who have somehow grown up managing to never sit through any of the three original movies.
The main reason I never got around to seeing them wasn't because I was totally uninterested or harbored some kind of better-than-thou elitism, but rather I just didn't feel like I needed to. American culture is so saturated with Star Wars that it's really become a part of our national identity and mythology, much like The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and the lyrics of "We Are The Champions." We all know the story of Ichabod Crane just like we all try to hit Freddie Mercury's notes at sporting events and in bars just like we all know that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's dad. I never sat down to watch Star Wars because I really felt that I was already well acquainted with all that it entails thanks to growing up in America.
My husband, however, disagreed with me. To prove to him that I already understood the trilogy despite never having watched any of the movies, I made him this video.

Star Wars from Rhiannon on Vimeo.

Honestly, I am a little embarrassed that I kept saying "Federation" and not "Empire" when it's in the title of one of the movies, but I think I had watched Starship Troopers a few weeks prior to making this video so I had a different fictional government's name on my mind.

1 comment:

rae said...

"Honestly, I am a little embarrassed that I kept saying "Federation" and not "Empire" when it's in the title of one of the movies, but I think I had watched Starship Troopers a few weeks prior to making this video so I had a different fictional government's name on my mind." omg. how cute are you?! :)