Monday, June 6

House Wifin'

There's been a fresh, new shine put on housewifery that many young women are super excited about. The shine comes from the innumerable blogs where cute, creative young ladies take photos of their day-to-day projects, their adorable pink babies and their ever-changing, but always perfect households. And people are excited about this because it looks awesome on paper. Basically it looks like you wake up every day, do some chores, get tarted up and kick it for the rest of the day doing paper crafts, gluing stuff, baking cupcakes, putting bows on your baby, walking your dog, meeting up with other pretty young housewives and updating your blog. The dream!
I've been doing housewife stuff on and off for a couple of weeks now and it's terrible. I am going crazy. I get so bored that I invent things for myself to do even if I hate doing those things, like laundry and mopping. I am alone and lonely from the time I wake up every morning until the time Kiah gets home. I have friends, it's just that they all have jobs, so hanging out with me on a Tuesday morning is not in anyone's cards. I talk to animals all the time anyway, I'm one of those people, but I find myself really talking to my cats. I don't want any kids right now and possibly not ever, but I go to grocery stores (which used to make me more sterile every trip) and I see ladies cruising around with their kids at noon on a Monday and I get it. And when I used to look at other people's blogs and wonder how they found the time and energy to take a photo of their outfit, what they cooked, their cats, their kids and then update their blogs every single day without fail, well, I get that now, too.
I told Kiah that after I moved back to Grand Forks I wanted to take some time off from school and work and everything and just sit around the house and paint, read and write. That's it. No job searching, no crazy projects, just be a little creative every day and cook some meals. I never stated how long my mini-break would be, but my intention was all of June. It is June the 6th, I'm out of my mind, I've applied to 5 jobs and I will continue to apply to jobs every day until I have one. In the mean time, expect mo' updates and maybe I'll totally snap in a couple more weeks and steal a baby.
Anyway, here's an average day in the life of Hausfrau Rhi Rhi.

I'm tidy anyway, but I think not working has made me insane and so I spend about 2 hours a day just cleaning. My house is not that big, and neither of us nor the cats are so messy that the house requires that much cleaning up on a daily basis. But I do it anyway, every day. Today, in addition to a ton of other crap, I laundered, which really just means that I made Harley a nest.

When I complain to my friends on the weekends how much I hate my life during the week, they tell me to get a hobby. Because clearly they're not really my friends and don't know that I already have about 17 hobbies. I'm working on a painting of Dante's interpretation of Satan right now. I think it's going pretty well.

I've also been straight up overwhelming myself with reading, which I would do anyway, crazy housewife or not. See my GoodReads page to learn more.


Matting and framing photos. I'm covered in spray paint currently, but it was worth it since I've been meaning to frame this photo of my mom for as long as I can remember.

I make myself elaborate meals that my husband wouldn't eat. This was totally amazing. Pan fried (Burnt! Yummm!) sweet potatoes with fresh white onion, cherry tomatoes, spinach and feta, drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette. I will probably eat it again tomorrow, it was that good.

And no day is complete without having to yell at Neil 15-25 times. He is pretty much the embodiment of the word "scamp." And definitely "impish" because sometimes I look into his eyes and he looks like a demon and then I don't talk to him or make eye contact with him for a couple of minutes.

3 comments:

emily said...

I understand! I go batty staying at home all day sometimes. This summer I'm working from home and it's definitely a struggle.

Neil is adorable, definitely a scamp.

Melinda said...

yay! Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart" is one of my faves! Glad you're reading it

Rhiannon Admidas said...

@Emily - It's rough and I can see it changing my personality even. I spend the whole day withdrawn and in my own head so when I actually see real people I don't even feel comfortable talking. I need a job!!

@Melinda - I've heard it's amazing and I'm really trying to get into more African writers so it's perfect.