Friday, July 29

My Butt Hurts - NSFW

Please note that most of the links in this post are not work safe. There's no nudity or anything scary, but they are definitely rated R. If you're easily offended or are concerned about your boss checking your web history, maybe don't click anything.

Last night Kiah asked me, "Did you come up with 'Home is Where You Keep Your Dildo' or is that something you saw somewhere?" I told him I was pretty sure I made it up and he directed me to Tumblr. Apparently my project has been floating around over there (a lot) in that creative no man's land without a link back here or to any site where my name is attached to the image. Additionally, we Google searched for the phrase and the piece came up on eBaum's World and Fun Pic, again with no source and no mention of me, the creator. Funpic even put their own website on the image like a watermark.
I realize this is the internet and what I post here and anywhere else may very well be considered gone and not mine and lost to the vacuum, but I can't help feeling a little hurt. This was my very first embroidery project and I remember being so excited and proud to share it. Of course I'm psyched that so many people like this silly, stupid, and honestly, sloppy thing I've made but it's no fun when I'm not getting those props personally. I keep thinking that maybe I'm being stupid about this and my feelings are totally unwarranted, but then I think that if I were to write something and have it published, I wouldn't want it published anonymously. I'm proud of the work I do and I want and feel I deserve to be recognized for it.
To remedy the situation in the future, I suppose I'll start putting credit directly on pictures of my work. I hate the way that looks, but I'd like credit where credit's due, and as long as Tumblr is around that's something I'll have to demand. I almost feel sorry to post this because I'm honestly not sure if my feelings are annoying or legit, but either way it does feel better to complain about it publicly.
In other news completely related to this, I recently finished a second version of this same embroidery project. I won't post the picture here because I would like this blog to remain work safe, but if you're not at work or with your kids and you'd like to see it, click here. I think it came out worlds better than the first one. My embroidery skills have gotten so much better in only a handful of projects. I need to learn some legitimate stitches (And thankfully this awesome blog has been doing tutorials all summer!), but I'm really happy with my overall improvement.
Anyway, I've got some big projects coming up that I'm really excited to share and I've been painting, plus I still haven't written a story for this last week, so expect lots of updates this week. At least 4!

No comments: